TESTS that you are in the FAITH
- Lk 9:23-25
The first sign of a true faith is the obedience and the wanting to follow Christ in all the areas of your life. There must be no conditions in this obedience.
Discipleship is not a program (program is just used for a lack of better term). It is not an event but rather a way of life. It is not for a limited time, but for our whole life. It is not for beginners alone, but for believers. It is what the church does.
- if we are not discipling and we are not being discipled, we are being disobedient.
- it is not just part of the advancement of God's kingdom
- the existence of serious disciples is the most serious evidence of God's work on Earth.
- without enough disciples, the task of God remains incomplete
* Most of the people being discipled end up serving the Lord.
Discipleship - learning from and following a leader
Go and make disciples of all nations.
* We avoid discipline because it disrupts the normal and comfortable pattern of your life.
- comfort can be the greatest enemy of obedience to God.
* interference - when someone sticks his nose in your life.
(eg. did you do your quiet time?)
* if you really want to grow in a meanigful way, you should be thankful for interference and be willing to accept it.
* most of us wants to harvest a life of discipline while living in a life of laziness.
* we want all the benefits of humility and growth without being humble or seeking to grow.
- the whole Christian life is a process and many times, the process is the purpose.
* people do not like the process and THEY JUST DONT LIKE TO WAIT.
Mat 18: Church discipline
- this positive interference lies in the heart of making disciples.
- when you are in a discipling relationship, you are helping each other obey God.
- discipleship is the heart of God's work
WHAT DOES DISCIPLEHSIP DO?
1. Discipleship ranks as God's top priority because Jesus practiced it, and commanded us to do it and His followers continued it
- with the great commission, transformation became a mission. it is not even about planting churches.
* the issue is not planting churches. That is not only a tool.
Mat 28: reveals God's heart and priority
- this indicate a method that will fulfill God's plan to rescue the world.
* evangelism should lead to discipling -- follow up.
* a commitmment to be and make disciples is the central act of every disciple and every church.
- Discipleship is important because Jesus said so. Discipleship must be central.
Are you a Christian? Are you a believer? Is this commission central to you?
* do not be satisfied just because you have a ministry. serving is NOT enough.
* if discipleship is not important, why is there church.
The Lord held nothing back to save those He loves.Christianity implies an ENTIRE change of life -- a dedication of ourselves to God.
The great commission launches a rescue mission
- All followers receive orders with full authority wherever they happen to be.